Subject: Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:59:12 -0500

- --On Friday, March 21, 2003 5:36 PM -0800 Mark Rabiner
<mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> John and others! For some reason I have not heard of this veiling flare
> on the 50/2.
> More importunely I've not experienced it myself.
> I thought the date was 4/11 but it's eleven minutes after four - It's
> the first day of spring! I've got the flu, no big deal buy i've not been
> sick for over two years and i forgot what you do. Type out long deals on
> the internet for the LUG?!

<snip>

I'm with Mark on this...I've never seen anything close to veiling flare on
the 50/2 and I have three of them. The current version, the DR, and a
collapsible. I mostly use them without a shade and I've never, ever seen
veiling flare. On the contrary, these are consistently the most reliably
predictable lenses in terms of their performance. Yes, the DR has the Leica
glow, and the collapsible is a little less contrasty, but they are all
sharp as a tack.

Bottom line: I'm baffled about all this talk about veiling flare on the
50/2. If we were talking about the 90 Tele-Elmarit, then there would be no
argument, but this is the 50 Summicron, for heaven's sake!

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com