Subject: RE: [Leica] All the problems with My Site
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:42:24 -0700

Marko--

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

There are some great sites that use Flash to present their work that you
might find inspiring. One of them comes to mind that I enjoy viewing ...
www.viiphoto.com ... features the work of some great photographers ...
Christopher Anderson, James Nachtwey, Alexandra Boulat, Lauren Greenfield,
Gary Knight, Anton Kratochvil, Ron Haviv, Christopher Morris, John Stanmeyer
... take a look-see at that one, if you're so inclined.

Usability issues are important. And Brian pointed out some of the more
important issues in his posting. At the same time, I would not be totally
swayed against using Flash as a means of presentation. It is light and quick
to load, and very effective if used well, and for the right parts of the
design. Frames are another issue, primarily as they've been so badly abused
by folks who have no idea how to design a Web site other than to chop it
into different provinces with frames. Not what you did, but what many
so-called Web designers do, thereby making anyone who uses frames subject to
many folks' turning off their browser's ability to access sites with frames.
There are some good sites that use frames, but they are very few and far
between.

Your site is beautifully designed, and presents the material in a nice way,
very well-organized. Maybe to "lighten the load" with smaller files would
make it more accessible. My DSL connection seems to have no problem handling
the download, but others seem to have slower connections, and for dialup, it
would probably be a total disaster, but dialup is quickly losing currency as
the standard to which most sites are designed anymore, anyway. As someone
pointed out, provide an HTML version of the site to make everyone happy.
Your design is very adaptable to HTML anyway. It would be easy to create
parallel sites that would not look very different from one another.

Next time, before presenting your work, tell everyone up front, THIS IS A
DRAFT VERSION OF THE SITE. And that way, if they are paying attention, they
will see that you are asking for feedback on a pre-launch, test version of
the site. And wear some tough skin, too. Here, I'll upload some tough
crocodile skin for you to wear for next time. ;-)

Kit