Subject: Re: [Leica] FS: Special Anti-War Protest edition Leica M7
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:09:49 EST

In a message dated 2/14/03 3:02:21 PM, darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I don't know, but when they count the number, are they going to use
"statistical" (snicker, cough, choke...) methods, and "really" count only a
very dense area, and then apply this density for some overall (inflated)
area...and play with the numbers so that 10,000, including normal traffic
and tourists etc. somehow turns into "100,000 ANGRY protestors"?

Austin >>

I'm not sure how many commercial sattelites are out there, but as you can see
this article.</a> a commercial satellite was used to disprove claims in the
first Gulf war that Iraqi troops were massed on Saudi Arabia's border,
waiting to attack.  It seems that an enterprising reporter (thank god not all
of them have become talking corporate heads) actually utilized commercial
satellite photos, examined them and behold, found ZERO evidence of buildup.
The view from the commercial satellite was pretty clear.

I would imagine that some eyes in the sky could (and do) a pretty good head
count and be able to differentiate the tourists at Fisherman's wharf from the
protestors holding banners downtown.  I don't think that any of us are that
naive in thinking that authorities aren't keeping good tabs on huge numbers
of people getting up off their sofas and making their ways into the streets.
Now whether the authorities are always up to telling the truth is a different
matter indeed.

Kim