Subject: Re: [Leica] FS Nikonos V and more with prices this time
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:56:06 -0700

If you dive in salt water frequently, then it should be completely gone
over and every internal o-ring changed once a year. This is on top of
the rigorous daily rinsing and regular changing of the user accessible
o-rings. Nikon USA does the work but there are also many other repair
places that can do the work and have more experience with underwater
gear as it is their daily bread and butter. Here is one site:

http://www.southern-nikonos.com/

A quick google search will turn many more. These underwater specialty
places can pressure test your equipment unlike Nikon which can only
vacuum test it. If you are a snorkeler like me (10 m max), vacuum
testing is just fine but if you go deep, then send it to a place that
pressure tests their finished repairs.

If you only use the camera in fresh water or only dive in salt water
once a year, then you may be able to get away with having the major
overhaul every second year. You still have to do the daily rinsing,
etc. Naturally there are NO guarantees with underwater equipment as
s*** happens. Check, double check and check again. It only takes a
single hair to cause a flood.

My local store had a Nikonos V returned for warranty* because after the
chap changed the film while underwater, it would not work anymore...

John Collier

* No, he did not get another camera.