Subject: RE: [Leica] I eat crow
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:37:26 -0500

Johnny,

> Austin, Henning is completely right. His explanation in his previous
> email was clear and technically correct. In a flat-field lens the edge
> of frame is focussed at a farther distance than the center of frame.
> Therefore if you focus using the center of frame, and then reframe, the
> lens will not be exactly focused on the subject. If you want I can draw
> a diagram tomorrow.

But, that is NOT what the article that we were talking about says it does.
He is answering a DIFFERENT question, right or wrong.  Here is EXACTLY what
it says:

"you are focusing on a model's eye.  Suppose the distance on your lens
barrel indicate  a distance of  one meter. However,  you do not want the eye
at the center of
composition,  so you recompose your frame, and SHIFT THE CAMERA side way.
Now the model's eye shifted to one side
of the frame."

NOTE it says "SHIFT THE CAMERA side way[s]" (I added the capitalization).
It does NOT say "turn the camera", "turn your body" it says "SHIFT".  Shift,
in this context, basically means to take a step to the side along the same
plane as the film.  In that context, the entire premise is simply wrong.

Austin