Subject: Re: [Leica] From this weekend - Nathan
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:04:41 -0800

Nathan.......

What is a Tayu?

Hmmm, that is a very difficult question.
In general..... in old Japan... extending into today at least in some
part... a Tayu is a very very high class 'entertainer'. By high class, I
mean they were almost the exclusive domain of the Imperial family, and or,
the highest of the high nobelmen and other court officials. By
'entertainer', I mean they sang, and danced and performed very polished and
subtle dramas or plays for their audiences. Tayu were considered
courteseans.

They are sometimes refered to as "special geisha", or maybe even just as
geisha.. but a Tayu is certainly a higher status or status than a geisha.
They were, and are, very rare, very cultured and extraordinarily revered for
their skills and talents. To put this into context perhaps... a geisha is
also an entertainer of the rich and famous.. whereas a Tayu is an
entertainer of the richest of the rich, or the Imperial household itself.

It is hard to explain, since there is no western equilivant to Tayu.. or
even geisha for that matter.

They are a genuine piece of the past, which date back to the days of the
first Tokugawa Shoguns.  As I think I mentioned earlier, there are only 5 of
them who practice the art of Tayu in Japan today. The Tayu in the photo is
being spoken about as a candidate of being designated as a "Living National
Treasure" in Japan, a rare and very distinctive honor.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the kinda murkey explanation.. but it is a
strange thing. But if you look at some famous old Japanese woodblock
prints... usually, they depicted a Tayu of some rank.

Jim G.

J.A. Gatlin Photography
My Work in Black & White
http://www.jagatlin.com