Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 vs. SLR focusing teles
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:02:49 EST

In a message dated 11/2/02 12:06:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, dante@umich.edu
writes:

> I suspect that if you have to shoot in a
>  clutch (and I am still exploring this), a long-base rangefinder is
>  faster and/or more accurate.

..depends on the focal length of the lens. 90mm, yes. For really accurate
rangefinder focussing with 135mm you need long-base RFand goggles on the lens
helps that. Even so, 135 is probably more accurate on a Leica-R. Anything
longer won't go on a rangefinder although Leitz did experiment in the 1960s
with a 180/2,8 (they made a production lens in Viso mount and in
Leicaflex-mount) with goggles for the M3/M4. They are reputed to have found
that focussing in the M-mount was not sufficiently accurate even with the
goggles.

Seth         LaK 9