Subject: [Leica] Radio (was News Groups)
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:24:35 -0400

Mark wrote:

"I'd rather listen to jingles for zit cream then some public radio
commentator working for free but in love with their on voice as they go
on and on and on. Don't they realized they've lost their audience
fifteen minutes ago? How about the poor people who already paid? Do they
send them out a stack of CD's to listen to for the interim?"

Oy, I know! I was one of those guys who had to do the begging, and it was
just as painful to do as to listen to. The people who stay in that business
believe in what they're doing enough to do it for next to nothing. (In
large markets like Portland, or here in Rochester, most on-air staff is
payed - barely.) I wasn't into saying more than was necessary, and
preferred to work hard on making a creative flow of music (also on 91.5).
Constantly discovering new music, and getting money for it, was great. Not
as creative as my photo job, but no more Metol turning my cheeks red, either.

But, eventually, the fun went out of it. Between Newt Gingrich and the
resultant competitive attitude of public radio, I decided it was time to do
something else. Now, all these alternative means of delivery are putting
even more stress on the traditional stations. I worry about my friends who
are still trying to keep up the fight.

BTW, I will have a program on Public Radio International this December,
Christmas music performed by a local chamber chorus. (
http://www.pri.org/infosite/programs/_holiday/madrigalia/index.cfm?fa=SPOverview
) Gotta remember how to talk good again. Maybe KOPB will carry it.

Ten years ago, I heard that the entire government support for all public
broadcasting, TV and radio, was approximately the same as what was spent by
the Pentagon on military bands. They have some fabulous bands.....

Anyway, congrats on the new rig, and I hope the cat'll go easy on it.

CP

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Radio (was News Groups))
Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] Radio (was News Groups))
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> ([Leica] National Public Radio)