Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux Zoom. Was: Digilux use by professionals
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:27:04 -0500

Martyn Olivermartyn@wordspace.co.uk (Martyn Oliver)8/28/0210:23 AM

>Thanks, and thank-you, too, to the others who replied.
>
>My main question is how I go about setting depth of field without a
>fully manual setting.

You have no control over depth of field. Lighting conditions and the built-in meter will determine
the "proper" aperture and shutter speed.

In manual mode you can compensate through 9 levels from (-0.9 to 1.5 EV) and/or compensate flash
brightness from -0.6 to 0.6 EV. However you will no know the aperture.

>I'm also confused about 'white balance',

White Balance adjusts the color balance for lighting conditions. You can choose:
    AUTO, outdoors sun, outdoors shade, daylight flourescent, warm white flourescent, cool white
flourescent, or incandescent bulbs.

>the concept of digital zoom as opposed to optical zoom (an innovation

Realistically the Digilux Zoom has only optical zoom capability. The digital zoom feature simply
takes a hunk of the 1280 file size and makes it a 640x480 image. In other words you cannot get
maximum file size out of digital zoom function.

If you do not have a manual for the camera - I recommend that you contact Leica and get one.

Hope this helps.

George

Replies: Reply from Martyn Oliver <martyn@wordspace.co.uk> (Re: [Leica] Digilux Zoom. Was: Digilux use by professionals)