Subject: Re: [Leica] Super-Angulon R 21mm
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:38:08 -0700

on 8/25/02 7:20 AM, Henry Ting at henryting10@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the pros, cons, performance
> etc.... of this Leica 21mm Super-Angulon, sn # 3290XXX
> ? Bearing the Super-Angulon nonmenclature, does anyone
> know if Leica made this lens or is it made by
> Schneider or Zeiss. Being a slow lens (f 4), I do find
> that this lens is awefully hard to focus. However,
> having a very wide DOF, it probably is a non-issue.
> Also do I need specific wide-angle thin-profile
> filters for this lens ? Thanks

Since you've mentioned difficulty focussing, I'm guessing this is an R lens?
See http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/21R40.HTM

Its optical performance isn't up to the standard set by the 19mm Elmarit-R
lenses (old or new) but at moderate apertures it will do quite well, and if
you want to use a variety of filters it's probably a better choice than
either 19mm lens.  Not sure if you need thin filters for this lens; I'm
using the Series 8.5 filters with the hood.