Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: McNally Show
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 19:48:19 -0700

How many times have we all gotten work through the door, and said no.
And then went on to recommend someone whose shoot it was because it fit
just what they were all about. Moreover, they could bring to the
finished product something that they weren't even aware of, or that they
been waiting for just such an opportunity. I'd say it's happened more
than once with most of us.
That the situation demanded a photographer who could rise to the
occasion goes without saying. McNally, I think, has let his subjects
down in two fundamental reasons. For one he doesn't understand the
visual syntax in the portrayal of the worker. Secondly, and more
pointedly he's utter inability to apprehend the historicity that
emanates from his subjects. In this sense, yes, he was the wrong photographer.
Slobodan Dimitrov