Subject: Re: [Leica] HotBuys Electronics
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:53:00 -0400

At 02:09 PM 7/1/02 -0400, Biogon44@aol.com wrote:
>I bought a pair of Zeiss binoculars from them some time ago.  The price
was attractive but this company engaged in tactics somewhat similar to
'bait and switch'.  They told me that the binoculars being sold at this
price was not T* coated and told me that I was better off buying the coated
binoculars  from them at a higher price.  I checked with Carl Zeiss in the
USA and they informed me that all Zeiss binoculars made for many years had
T* coating.  I did finally purchase this item from at an attractive price
but found out that the packaging was originally made  for sale in Germany
and lacked a leather case.  This item is quite expensive when bought
separately from the binoculars.
>The USA packaging does include this case.  I would be very careful in
buying anything from them!

Well, Zeiss Sports Optics is a participant in this "grey market" situation,
and I have protested to them, though mildly.  I picked up a pair of Zeiss
Victory 10x40's from HotBuys and was surprised to find the leather case
missing.  Zeiss advised me that ALL Zeiss binoculars are sold with their
leather cases, and that this is true for ALL markets, so a bit of a mystery
crops up as to precisely what is going on.

In the end, I bought the case from Zeiss for $80, 1/10 what I paid for the
binoculars.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!