Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: homemade stop bath
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:08:55 +0200

My 2 cents worth -
if you have been using Kodak stop bath, and it has shown the colouring that
indicates the bath has been exausted, you may try just adding acid until the
colouring disappears again.

Martin

At 5:05 PM -0400 6/24/02, J. Gilbert Plantinga wrote:
>On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 04:27  PM, brad daly wrote:
>
>>quick.  i just finally finished unpacking my darkroom.  i'm out of
>>stop bath and don't feel like trekking to the store to get some.  i
>>was thinking of just mixing up my own using vinegar.  about what
>>ratio of vinegar to water should i use, and about how many 11x14s
>>should i anticipate on getting?
>
>And
>
>>On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 04:33  PM, Brian Reid replied:
>>
>>Water works just fine.
>

>for FILM. I think Brad's talking about paper, but I don't have an
>answer to his question.
>
>Gilbert
>
>--

Generally, you want the acetic acid concentration to be in the range
of 2 to 4%, and vinegar is usually 4 to 8% acetic acid, so in an
emergency use pure white vinegar at 1:2. It's not really critical,
except to the longevity of your fixer.

Try not to use balsamic or pepper infused vinegar :-).

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com