Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: RE: Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:10:05 EDT

I am with Jim in every word he has written in this Ansel post except......

In a message dated 4/22/02 9:02:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jim@brick.org
writes:

> Ansel Adams was a true master of the craft of photography.

.......that if there is any implication that Adams' talent was limited to
craft, I part company. He had the vision and imagination to know, ultimately,
exactly what he wanted to see on the silver-coated paper he would ultimately
produce, the doggedness of purpose to devote himself to returning time and
time again, to getting to inaccessible viewpoints through great effort and
the patience to wait for just the moment when the light was exactly as he
needed it to be for that particular exposure.

This was not a photographer who ran off a few dozen rolls of 35mm film at
each "shoot" in the hope that maybe one of them might be good enough. He had
to carry an 8X10 view camera and glass plates, later a smaller camera but
still cut film in a holder. And he needed to visualize in advance just what
he needed to see in order to cap[ture it on that plate.

As Jim says, visit Yosemite, especially off-season when the crowds are gone.
Then imagine a world in which there were no Ansel Adams photographs to show
you the way and ask yourself, could I create images that convey the awesome
sense that God lives here?

I am astonished at some of the remarks that have appeared here in the last
day.

Seth     LaK 9