Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: colleen - now: David Hamilton
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:41:35 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Rob Appleby <> wrote:
> Call me anal retentive, then. I've always despised the
> vaseline lens nude as
> one of the lowest possible forms of one-handed photography.
> The fact the
> subjects are kids just makes it even more exploitative, IMO.
>
> It's just bad, totally commercial photography without an ounce
> of integrity
> or style. I think that qualifies it as porn.
>
> On the other hand, I love Sally Mann's "Intimate Family" (is
> that right?) as
> the work of a genuinely talented photographer with a strongly
> felt subject.
>
> -- Rob

    If you look at the full range of photographs from the
beginning of the craft until now, you see that "style" changes
and then repeats.  The early photos were soft because of the
available technology.  Now we deliberately soften things to hide
blemishes or in the attempt to portray or crate a mood.

    I once had the opportunity to attend a photo shoot in St.
Louis with some of the young women who appeared in Playboy.
Believe me, without the makeup and other special modeling
treatment, they do not look the same.  A special hairdressers
tape is used to lift and/or shape the bosom.  Once covered with
make-up, you never see it in the photo.

    That is my definition of commercial.  And I will not lower
myself or the list by commenting on the more vulgar
publications.

    What you are commenting on is your taste and emotional
response.  That falls within the realm of personal choice.  If
you do not like something, then you are free to pass it by.  But
you should not denigrate other people for have a different
opinion or taste.  Nor should anyone have the right to dictate
what taste or esthetic value should be, just as they should not
have the right to force upon you something you do not like.

    I compare adolescence with the blooming of a flower.  It can
be a period of incredible beauty.  I appreciate the lines and
symmetry as a thing of beauty, not something that makes me pant
and drool.  I think this is something of what Hamilton was
trying to portray.

    When you stop to admire the beauty of a flower, do you stop
and think that you are looking at a plant's sex organs?  Do you
realise that nature made flowers attractive for a reason?

    I have not had the opportunity to look at Sally Mann's work.
I hope I shall sometime soon.