Subject: RE: [Leica] U.S. custom laws
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:53:09 -0700

I did this several years ago... the procedure is most likely the same, only
the aggravation will be different

There is a customs place some where in LA... I remember it NOT at LAX....
maybe Terminal Island?  ... that will basically inventory your stuff and
give you a receipt, with the appropriate stamp... that receipt says the
stuff was in the USA legally, and therefore re-importation is without
furthered duty.....

You need to do this SEVERAL DAYS ahead of your trip, because it takes
forever to get the customs guys to get all the little number off the stuff
and on to the form.. I even remember writing down all the numbers myself,
and the guy double checking BEFORE the stamp was applied.....

Remember.. NOT LAST MINUTE......

BTW, I have entered the US with lots of "stuff", and have never been
challenged to actually use my handy dandy receipt... but if necessary, I did
have it...

The other choice is to carry Xeroxes of all your receipts for new stuff....
a real pain in the neck.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net