Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cut mat recommenations [almost bulk]
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:40:31 -0700

Jim Brick writes:
 > [...]
 > Buy a mat cutter... $295. Cut mats 'till the cows come home. Whatever size
 > you need. 11x11, 10x10, 4x12, whatever. My daughter can give you a mat
 > cutting lesson, after which you can cut any window mat perfectly, in 60
 > seconds or less. And a second window in the same time.

Hi Jim,

I own a mat cutter, and I do cut my mats (though I don't stay
practiced enough to meet my quality goals at 60 seconds per window).

In this case, I don't *want* cows in my house, and the folks I'm
helping with the project are trying to balance the time that it'd take
them to do it vs. the other things that they could do if they bought
precut mats at $X per mat.  If anything, I'm trying to encourage them
to avoid the whole "it's cheaper if I just do it myself".... approach.
If they can get mats hinged&cut mats for $30, that's one thing, if
they can get 'em for $9 that's another....  And, if they need five of
them, then ..., but if they need 75 of them then .....

g.