Subject: Re: [Leica] Less (equipment) is more
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:26:19 -0800

Bob Haight
 wrote:
>>> On the same vein there is an excellent profile of a professional
photographer in this months Photographic who for the most part would only
use a Nikon F100 and a prime 50.
He does not like the distorted prospective of the wider lens. Seems so many
people feel they need  to carry B&H Photo's camera and lens inventory to
take a photograph.<<<<

Hi Bob,
Carrying lots of equipment at times makes the difference between doing an
incredible job and a "not too bad" one. Usually this is dictated by the
assignment and conditions which the photographer must work.

For example, the chap who says he shoots everything with just the 50mm lens
would be completely shot dead in the water if he were shooting the Olympics.
This kind of venue requires any number of lenses and more than a couple
camera bodies on your back wherever you're shooting.

Where the 50mm maybe his normal and the only way he shoots, but at many
events such as the above, the normal lens is a 300mm plus extenders and or
300 - 400 - 500 - 600 and longer.

Without knowing the kind of picture taking this chap does his comments are
basically worthless. Yep there are any number of situations where a 50 can
be used to do wonderful pictures. An example, a few years ago for one of the
Leica Seminar's, Sandy & I shot a presentation, "Vancouver on 50mm's a Day."

Which produced interiors, exteriors and lots of people activities day and
night that appeared as though shot with wides, macros and normal. So the 50
can be made to produce pictures looking like they are from any number of
lenses.......... other than a 300 plus! ;-)  However, not where the 15mm
becomes the lens to "make the picture or go home with nothing!"

Hopefully this will illustrate that there are times when more than one lens,
the 50 can do everything.

By the same token every once in a while I'll shoot a "paying assignment"
with only one camera and one lens, Noctilux or 35mm 1.4 Summilux. But it
depends on the assignment and can I get a way with just one lens and one
camera? But let me assure you, even then a whole bunch of glass is tucked
away close by.......... "Just in case!" ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> (Re: [Leica] Less (equipment) is more)