Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: To crop or not to crop
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:28:47 +0100

In message <003101c19d59$215a49e0$633f4d18@gv.shawcable.net>,
Ted Grant writes:

>A solid piece of advice for those who wish to shoot it as they see it and
>then leave distracting elements in the frame actually spoiling their
>efforts.
>
>This type of "no cropping" sure wouldn't work for shooting the Olympics or
>many other sports events because the photo positions don't afford the ideal
>location and one must learn to live or die with cropping .
>
>Thanks for a great description, if I may, could I use it or parts of it for
>a photography school lecture presentation next month? Thanks.

Ted,

I agree with Jim and you and all counts here.  There is just one thing.  I
don't recognize all the distracting elements in my own photos yet, and
therefore I don't know always when and what to crop.  Before I start cropping
I need to have developed at least that very basic skill.  My stand has nothing
to do with purism.  No-crop is simply my tool to understand basic composition
by learning from the feedback I receive from you guys.

- -- Arne

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop)