Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V21 #230
From: "B.Entus" <brutus@mda.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:01:01 -0800

> > Have them return your film uncut and then mount it yourself. That's what I
> > usually do.
>
>Is that difficult to do? I have always wondered:
>
>a) what I need to mount my own slides
Some types of plastic mounts snap together by hand, so all you need to
start are such mounts and scissors. A light table and strip cutter (unit
with film strip guide and guillotine arm cutter) make it easier. There are
also "presses" (a frame that sandwiches all sides of the mount at once) to
snap the mount together, but the Gepe mounts I've used are easy enough to
snap together just in your fingers. Some people wear cotton gloves to avoid
accidental finger marks, but not needed if you are careful.

Some of the Gepe mounts have a pair of tabs just below the opening that
help align/hold the film while putting on the mount.

>b) how I ask the mail-in folks to develop it but not to mount it.

I do not use mail-in- I do carry in, but the following may apply-
When I bring film to local finishers I tell them don't cut or mount and
they write it on the film envelope (or tick a box)- also have them cut to
strips of 4 or 5 as usually done with negatives. Uncut it comes back in a
long strip, usually in a plastic sleeve, this put into an envelope or
card-board tube. If they are sloppy they may scratch the film when they
sleeve it, but there are lots of worst errors they could make in handling.

At some places not mounting reduces the price of processing.