Subject: Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:34:01 -0500 (EST)

the noctilux could well be the answer for you.  i think you should
look at some of the noctilux images posted by LUGgers to see if they
produce the effect you seek.

http://www.alaska.net/~rowlett/
http://www.availabledark.com/
http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/noctilux.html
(many others i can't remember)
and
http://www.shinozuka-family.com/ (my page!)
(we ought to make a web ring)

you should see if you can get the loan of a demo from your trusty
leica dealer.  that's what i did.  you might also want to check out
the 75 lux, which i think is a similar lens with overlapping capabilities.

what do people not like about the noctilux, and why do they sell them?
(the quotations are paraphrases of general complaints i've read about
recently.)

1. "it's too heavy"
   the number one complaint you'll encounter.
   it's unquestionably heavy for a lens of its focal length; being
   12 oz heavier than the summilux.  i don't personally find this a
   problem at all, and i've noted that an m6 with noctilux is but 2.7 oz
   heavier than an F100, f1.4 and requisite batteries.
   if you've spent your time with a 35 or 50 summilux, you'll definitely
   feel a difference in handling the noct; if your favorite lenses are the
   75 lux and 90 cron, less so.
2. it's an optical compromise
   a. "the summilux and summicron are optically superior; the noctilux is
      a specialized lens for available-darkness only"
      while the first part is true, the noctilux is certainly capable of
      performing as a normal lens when not performing its f1 feats.  erwin
      puts describes this issue in some detail:
      http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/M10-50.html
   b. "the noctilux vignettes at f1"
      guilty as charged, though can be turned to advantage, and is often
      imperceptible in dark scenes.
   c. "the noctilux can produce odd-looking out-of-focus effects (bokeh)"
      guilty as charged, though many (including me) find the effect
      aesthetically pleasing.

3. "it's too hard to focus"
   wide-open, it can be tough: at 6 feet, total depth of field is about 3
   inches.   you'll need to ensure your rangefinder is adjusted precisely,
   and a 0.85 viewfinder is an excellent adjunct to this lens, as is the new
   eyepeice magnifier.

4. "it's too heavy"
   you'll read this more than once.

5. "it's a false idol"
   f1.0 is an intoxicating and exhilirating specification that
   undoubtedly attracts some to this optic.  but the fact remains that it's
   got the longest run (over 25 years and running) of any ultra-high speed
   lens ever made.

- -rei