Subject: Re: [Leica] wives
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:21:59 -0800

Well she who must be obeyed is the reason I became a photonut in the first
place...

May 20th or so 1950, my first birthday after we married in the fall of 1949.
She says, "What would you like for your birthday?"  And I respond, "I always
wanted to own a camera."

So on my birthday 7 days later, 27 May 1950 I unwrapped my... no not a leica
but a little sort of point and shoot of those days, an Argus A2. 35mm and I
was in heaven!

I finally owned a camera of my own, as my dad always on a Sunday when we
were kids just before going to church in our very best go to church clothes,
broke out his Eastman Kodak 620 box camera and took a few snaps .... always
the same. But hey come on, that was a very very long time ago. ;-) The neat
thing is ... we still have those pictures! :-) The power of still
photography.

In any event, the gift from my wife on that day opened a world of
photography that has never closed, and with the publication of my first
newspaper picture about 16 months later September 17th, 1951 it has been a
constant world of excitement, fun and adventure to the wildest of ones
imagination.!

And because she did that, I've been able to see and photograph the world
over and over again, met countless thousands of folks, made friends in many
lands and been published some where on the planet every year since!

So wives open doors for us in many ways and give us opportunities we may
never have on our own. However, as much as I love her dearly she drives me
crazy everytime I say, "Gee I think I better order that new super wide angle
lens."

And she says, "What in heavens name for, with all those dozens of lenses you
have already? Think about it... you can only look through one camera and one
lens at a time! So what will this lens do that all the others wont??"

Then she'll shrug and say, "Well you might as well get it, as you'll just
sulk around here for weeks and make my life miserable." End of conversation.
I smile and order the lens and eventually she'll say, "Well how's the new
toy?" And smile.

So there you go eh?  Wives! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited