Subject: Re: [Leica] High altitude question
From: "Michael Abbott" <lists@mabot.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:39:21 +0200

On print film I'd be surprised if you couldn't just filter out any overall
blue cast - it's never that strong. The quality of sunlight up there will of
course be different from at sea level, far more harsh.

I've only ever used slide film up high, and have never felt the need to
remove an overall blue cast. Then again, getting colours of gore-tex and
rocks dead on has never been all that improtant. Snow comes in all sorts of
colours, flesh tones tend to be badly sunburnt anyway...

The sky of course is a differnt matter. How near to black it is seems to
depend on how much moisture there is around - a blue-sky morning that will
develop afternoon thunderclouds is far less intense than the sort that will
stay clear all day. And of course adding a polariser will generally take you
well beyond mere solid black.

I've had mist come out an awful pink on Velvia, although I'm not sure that
it wasn't an abused batch of film (heat or x-rays or something.) Sensia mist
is generally white.

Michael

  Michael Abbott  m@mabot.com
       www.mabot.com