Subject: Re: [Leica] SF 20 QUESTION
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:02:15 -0800 (PST)

Eng Yeo wrote:

> You're correct in saying that the Nikon SC-17 will work for
off-camera
> TTL flash, with either the Leica M6 TTL or Leica R cameras. This is
> because the layout of pins on the hot shoe and the flash foot happens
> to be the same for both Nikon and Leica. The end of the SC-17 that
> connects to the flashgun is fitted with a tripod thread, so it's
quite
> handy for parking the flashgun.
>
> Leica, as far as I know, does not make such a cord.

Does it mean that I can use a Nikon flash? Would there be any danger of
damaging the electronic circuit?

No, it doesn't mean that! Please be careful! I don't know whether or
not damage would result from using a Nikon flashgun with an M6 TTL but
I don't think it would work anyway.

The _positions_ of the pins on the hot-shoe are the same for Nikon and
Leica, which is the only thing that matters if you're going to use the
SC-17 cord. However, the _use_ of each pin is not the same. If you look
at the Metz web site, you can see that the recommended SCA adapters for
Leica and Nikon are different, e.g. Nikon F100 with Metz 40 MZ-3i needs
SCA 3402 adapter; Leica M6 TTL with Metz 40 MZ-3i needs SCA 3502
adapter.

Regards,

=====
Ray