Subject: Re: [Leica] The initial spark (newbie)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:19:40 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:
>>> Walt
> Your tale is most disappointing -- I had thought that you learned your
> command of the art at Daguerre's knee and that your first professional job
> was as the combat photog at the Alamo.
>
> Well, Ted Grant has assured me that he didn't begin by taking etching
> lessons under da Vinci, so I guess these old legends might not be as true
> as we think.<<<<

Not so Marc,
They are true, just been changed overtime due to forgetfulness and use. ;-)

Leonardo was a tough task master and if I didn't hold the hammer and chisel
straight so the horizon wasn't crooked, he'd beat the hell out of me with a
wet piece of bread tied in a knotted towel!

And it was me who insisted Walt, although a very young lad at the time,
become one of the crew when he arrived on the Daguerre scene some decades
later. ;-)

And when Daguerre became interested in the "photographic process" and  I'd
had experience of keeping horizons straight, he took me on as his assistant
and shortly after that Walt came a long and we've been buddies ever since!
:-)

We moved on to Fox Talbot,  Leica's Barnack and a few other photographic
luminaries over the years, until we finally broke out on our own going
separate ways until one day we re-united on the LUG!   So there you go eh?
;-)

The legend continues!! ;-)

The next will be a modern day epic filled with Leica moments! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] The initial spark (newbie))