Subject: Re: [Leica] The initial spark (newbie)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:58:54 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:57:23 -0500 "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> At 05:36 AM 11/9/2001, you wrote:
>

> >Dear Luggers, i hope this question is not too basic or, in any way, boring.
> >My question is: What and when the idea of taking pictures come to your mind ?
> >A gift from a parent ? The visit to a museum ? some deep need or maybe
> >pure masochism ?

YOU ASKED FOR IT!!! (boring)
When I was 11 a neighbor from down the street came by to visit parents.
He was the "small town" photographer (we didn't have a 'real' photographer,
Rudi Mansi was an accountant and did weddings/portraits/groups on the side)
He left me a coupla late sixties photo mags, which I devoured.  I guess my
"leica" roots were planted then, cuz I was as fascinated with the gear
as the pictures.  I developed my first roll of film in corning ware dishes
in my mom's bathroom, and printed the 2-1/4 negs (contact) on Velox paper.
(remember Kodak "tri-chem-packs"?)
When I was about 12 or 13 I got a Sears (Testrite) enlarger for my birthday,
with 75mm lens (for my "Kodak" DuaflexIII negs...some shot with #5/25
flashbulbs!!!))...subsequently got a Yashica
D....then Nikon F (closeout-1975), worked for local newspaper from age 15-18,
went to Journalism Workshop at Trinity University---the lab geek had Leicas (M2s)
and then I had to have one...bought Nikons (S2, SP) instead, cuz they were good
and cheap (!)...later traded them for my first M3..should've kept 'em...have had MANY Leicas
and Nikons, but I still use both (M4, M4P, M6(sold), 3-Fs with standard prism,
various lenses,  Sekonic incident meter, 2-1/4, 4x5, etc...well equipped but STILL
want another M4 while they are still available, and a 35 LUX> new or old style...)

I've bounced far and near in photography, but have settled into a 'regular' gig
at UNT, School of Visual Arts for last 10 years (lab super/adjunct instructor)
where I intend to "home base" till retirement (13 years???)

Main influences W. Eugene Smith, David D. Duncan, many more but they "pale" in
comparison!---I currently like the kind of work that Tina, Ted, and Kyle do, to name
a couple on the list (I'm sure there are MANY more on the list, but it's early
and my head is barely functioning....don't be offended if you're not listed!!)

See, WAY more info than you asked for!!!
Walt