Subject: [Leica] [Leica} 50mm Summicron-M and flare
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:32:27 -0800

The veiling glare only occurs under when the "brightness" is in a certain
position, in the mid-field of the image if I remember correctly. Oft reviled
Mr. Johnson also pointed this out as a significant flaw of the 50/2. Try a
little experimenting to narrow down where it occurs and learn a few German
swear words for when those situations arise :-). The 35/2 (A and non-A) and
the 35/1.4A are much better at handling back lit situations. I do not know
how the other 50s (Summi and Nocti) perform in these situations but perhaps
others will chime in with their experiences.

John Collier

The 50/1.4 also suffers from this on rare occasions, although I'm not sure
how it compares to the 50/2 on this. The pre-aspherical 35/1.4 also suffers
from the veiling glare problem in backlit situations, probably more so than
the 50's.

Maybe Leica will come out with new versions of the 50's in a few years once
they get their aspherical design and manufacturing a bit more refined.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle