Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Digital Stuff
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:14:51 -0500

> Isn't the Leica advantage pointed out by Jim
> negated by
> the scanning process?

No, not at all.  I have Leica images that are scanned (at 5080) that look
easily as good, if not better, than any darkroom prints I've ever done, and
I've done a LOT of darkroom prints...

> In my head I ( perhaps incorrectly) see a scanner as just a bulky
> digital camera.

No, not at all.  It is entirely different.  My particular scanner actually
scans B&W using a neutral density filter, NOT using RGB and converting to
grayscale.  As has been pointed out, digital cameras use four sensors to
make one color pixel...and a film scanner does not.  It actually uses three
full resolution sensors (or one three times), so the image quality is MUCH
higher than a one shot digital camera.  Now, scanning backs are a different
story...they are just like a film scanner.

> But is it better to shoot
> film and scan?

Yes, as far as image quality goes.

> Is the leica advantage thrown out when scanned, it it
> necessary to use a drum scan to preserve it?

No, it is not thrown out when scanned, but you need a decent
scanner...decent film, decent exposure and decent development!