Subject: [Leica] FOM judging
From: "Brian McCarthy" <brian@imagespace.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:02:15 -0000

Phew!

I've just been through all the images on the FOM board and this is the
hardest thing I've had to do in many a year!

I decided to be really harsh in my judgement and on first pass through (I've
looked at all the images, rather than the thumbnails) I'm down to about 130
images - but how the hell am I going to get this down to 50, let alone 30!
This part is going to take a lot longer and I may even be tempted to add
pics I have already excluded.

This project is much more interesting now that there is a lot more submitted
images (there seemed to be a rush towards the end). For someone like me, who
has left the professional world behind many years ago and has only recently
re-embraced photography, it is very encouraging. I love the obvious
enthusiasm that is coming through from all levels of experience, and the
fact that (with the recent discussion of other enthusiast groups galleries)
the Leica approach tends to get the photographer 'closer' to people. The
submitted entries as a whole are very impressive, regardless of technical
issues - I am really impressed with the social and personal level of
involvement with people as human beings and not just as objects of visual
interest.

This is a hell of a thing to judge and personal taste, mood at time of
viewing, current attitude to life, the universe and everything, must be
taken into consideration - but I am proud to be a part of this project (even
though I wouldn't have chosen any of my own pics even if it was allowed!).

very humbled

Brian McCarthy
brian@imagespace.co.uk
www.imagespace.co.uk