Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Vs: digital
From: George Day <george@rdcinteractive.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:01:06 -0800

Austin,

 presume etc.) DOES design digital cameras...and is a senior scientist for
> one of the top digital camera manufacturers now...and probably knows as much
> if not more than most anyone on this subject.  If you really do have more
> experience than that, I'd really like to know.

Other than a doctorate in physics, no, I don't have more experience.  But --
and I hate to harp on this -- I simply made the point as a photographer, not
as an engineer.  Of course most solutions -- even, oh, my, analog ones --
fall short of ideals.  That's life. But there's a huge difference, I think
we can all agree, between an engineer's dream and a tool with which a
photographer can produce some fine work.  Period, end of story.  A digital
M?  Why the hell not?  It would be convenient.  Not perfect, but convenient.
Period, end of story.  That's ALL I WAS SAYING.

This reminds me of a certain third-party manufacturer of tripod accessories
we all know (and whose equipment is marvelous).  Talking to him or reading
his papers, you'd come away feeling that any photograph not taken by a
camera bolted onto an Arca B-1, preferably atop the biggest Ries tripod you
can find anchored by a fifty-pound bag of sand and a 1/8000 shutter speed,
sucks.  Well, if LPM is one's only concern, then fine.  But that's not how
most of us use Leica M's.