Subject: Re: [Leica] 75 lux performance
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:50:21 -0500

Rei wrote:

>http://www.shinozuka-family.com/20011014test/
>
>over the weekend, i evaluated a 75/f1.4 M which appeared to be in mint
>condition.  i was a bit dissapointed in wide-open performance, and wondering
>if it might be a bad sample, or need a CLA or something.  highlights seemed
>ghostly, and the image seemed a tad more soft and low contrast than
>i would have expected from this lens.  i'd really appreciate
>the advice of 75M owner if my findings are representative of the 75M.

My 75 is scary sharp by f2.8 and pretty dang fine at 1.4 and 2 to boot!

Try it again and bracket focus. Thats all I can imagine you have not
covered.

Use the whole roll with the 75 and one shot focus on the lock, next on
the hasp, next on the wood, etc. Do this over and over, several times at
each aperture.

Also add another more 3 dimensional object in the scene so you can see if
the plane of focus is way off. If this still gives bad results then there
is something wrong with that lens.

Henry