Subject: Re: [Leica] Week 40 PAW
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:52:44 -0400

> From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Week 40 PAW
>
> A very nice landscape.  In the original is there detail in the
> shadows among
> the "shrubberies" ? :)

Hi Don,

Yes, to a westerner like me (and you?) the northern New England
forests are rather shrubbish ;-). As for detail, the web prints are
calibrated to a relatively light (~ 2.0 gamma) setting. This way I
can irritate both Mac and PC users. The bigger version shows more
detail:

http://www.webcom.com/alexey/images/giledsk10.jpg

...but even so, the scanner (SS4000) did not pull all shadow info
out of this somewhat dense transparency. Lighter exposures on the
same roll had the sky blown out; maybe I should buy a gradient ND
filter. Anyway, the posted versions of the photo provide a pretty
accurate reproduction of what we actually saw that evening.

>  It is wonderful that so many are starting to post as
> this is the "users group"

YES!

Alexey Merz
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover NH 03755-3844
alexey@webcom.com | alexey@dartmouth.edu
603-650-1702 | http://www.webcom.com/alexey/

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Week 40 PAW)