Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikonos
From: "B.Entus" <brutus@mda.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 14:01:08 -0700

Camera is fairly rugged and the surface lenses are good (the underwater
lenses are great, underwater). Keep in mind that they are all scale focus-
the scales are precise but sharpness depends on how well you can estimate
or measure distance (and use DOF). Nikon made 5 lenses for the camera-
underwater only: 15mm, 20mm, 28mm UW;
amphibious (= waterproof surface lens): 35mm 80mm
surface only: 28mm (similar to Nikon E type, but weather-proofed)

Hard to tell how long Nikon will support, but there are a few dedicated shops
that have continued to support the older models (I,II,III,IV) to this day
and this
will likely be true of the model V

If you don't actually take it underwater then little maintenance is needed,
but the gear is not exactly not cheap and you give up a lot relative to most
regular cameras. One of  the "weather proofed" surface cameras
could be a better choice if dunking was unlikely and if it is just a matter
of light
rain then a  camera such as a Leica M or classic pro-SLR would be ok with
reasonable care (say a wide brimmed hat and a towel).

Replies: Reply from "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com> ([Leica] Re: Nikonos and USCG)