Subject: [Leica] camera for a 10 year old
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 00:33:35 -0400

The advice so far given has been good but doesn't ask the question: what
sort of 10 year old is the recipient?  For someone primarily visual the
Olympus Stylus (Epic) is an ideal camera both in terms of size, ease of use,
and price.  It also forces the discipline of one lens.

However, if the user is mechanical, technical, or process orientated then
another camera is called for.

Does the user want something small and pocketable?  I would look at the
Canon QL17, the Olympus RC 35 or any of the camera's that Stephen Gandy
lists at his cameraquest.com site.  These camera's can be autoexposure or
manual.  If the adult just happens to have a spare threadmount Leica then
that would be just the ticket :).

Should the desire tend toward an SLR then the decision hierarchy should tend
toward what lenses are available locally, ie in the resident household.  If
you already have an R-8 then pick up a ratty SL if the lenses are
multi-cammed or an early user R.  These can be not more than the price of a
Stylus if you don't have to buy a lens.  If there is no issue with lenses
then just about any offering from the big five Japanese manufacturer's
before electronics would work.  Why mid-sixties to mid-seventies production?
The early non professional camera's are starting to die and they die
catastrophically.  The all mechanical camera's die gracefully and with lots
of warning, they also can be had for a song.

My personal recommendations would be in order.  Assume money back period to
check functionality.  Best prices at camera fairs.
1)A beat up Nikon F or Nikkormat.  These are available with a 50mm starting
at $150.00 if you accept real beat up cameras.  The range of lenses is
immense if the interest in photography continues with non-AI lenses being
disgustingly cheap.

2)An original Canon F-1 or FT-b.  Even cheaper than an F with an almost as
large assortment of lenses available even cheaper.  The drawback is no
upward migration if real interest in photography grows.

3) One of the Pentax SLR's.  The K-1000 is most often suggested however
prices for a clean one with lens can go over $250.00 when class starts.

4)An Olympus OM-1.  Generally great lenses, can be purchased cheap, small
and light for those with small hands.  My experience with Olympus has not
been happy as both I have acquired soon expired, small sample size and not
scientific that survey may be.  Also, again, no real upward migration path
despite the OM-4T.

5)A really beat up M-3.  I mean really scarred and scratched.  Gets the
individual pre-programmed the rangefinder way.  Maybe this should be number
1

This time my nickels worth.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com