Subject: Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:23:11 -0500

I have to agree with the idea that if you send it to Leica it will be
returned in less than new condition. Trust me I had this unfortunate thing
happen to me.

I sent a brand new never used 100mm f2.8 APO into Leica USA for a loose
aperture ring (the diaphram blades would snap back into the lens at the wide
open 2.8 setting).

I was told that only Solms can work on APO lenses so they sent it to Solms.
Two months later she called to say that Solms had transfered the serial
number from the old lens to a new lens.

When I open the box up I was horrified. There were screw driver scratches
all over the back where they had evidently did a poor job of disassembly.
They didn't even touch it up.

On top of that this lens turned out to be WORSE than the one that I sent in.
It had dust mites crawling around inside.

You could extend the lens to the macro setting and look through the rear
element and see the mites with their little legs.

I was furious and immediately called Brenda back. She was so embarresed that
she offered to take the lens back and to issue a full Credit in my name to
the store I bought it at.

When she received the lens back she called my salesman to inform him of this
credit so I could buy an R6.2 with motor drive which I had ordered from him
to use the credit.

She told him on the phone that she did not "need any magnification to see
the problems" And that she was so pissed that she took it to the Leica USA
vice president to see for himself. He personally approved my credit.

Moral, get it replaced. Don't send it in for repair.

Tom Henson