Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-elmar and Bokeh
From: "Logan Reinwood" <reinwood007@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:30:38 -0000

>Logan wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I was a bit disappointed with the section dealing with Bokeh in Erwin's
> >book. His comments seem a bit "simple":
>
>Hi Logan,
>
>This bokeh thing is really "simple" - simple beyond complex.
>Its controlled by so many different things that I doubt that it can be
>carefully dissected and then written about with any authority. I think
>every instance is its own case and defies anything other than
>generalization.

This is exactly what I mean. I am glad we agree.
I think Erwin tried to summarise the "Bokeh concept" in his book but I am
not sure that section is at the level of the other excellent sections of his
book.

For me such a section should emcompass exactly what you said "many different
things":
- - optical design, (APO, non-APO, ASPH, non-ASPH, gaussian, etc.)
- - apperture (number of apperture blades, max apperture, etc.)

I would have expected to have these parameters at least enumerated (not even
explained if not possible) and not only "old lens are better than new-asph
one"!

>Search the LUG archives for the thousands of comments on "bokeh" and
>you'll see what I mean. (I got 1734 matches for bokeh)
>
>Its simple, stop wasting your time, don't worry about it and go make >some
>pictures.

I prefer to ignore your last comment since this is completely out of topic!

BR,

Logan