Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50mm f1.4 chrome...vs.... ?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:32:02 -0500

> Marc
>
> I asked a Leica rep recently if there were plans to update the 50/1.4
> Summilux M, in light of the recent 50/1.4 R reformulation. He said that he
> wasn't aware of any plans. He said that in order to significantly improve in
> the 50/1.4 M optically, they found they'd have to make it as big as a
> Noctilux. I assume by "they" he meant Leica's R&D group. He didn't elaborate
> specifically. But that was the inference. Granted, this is just hearsay.
> I'll leave it at that. IOW, for all I know a new 50/1.4 could be out
> tomorrow. But I've known this rep for some time, and he's pretty up front
> about such things.
>
> He made another astute comment. He said that the 50/1.4 was one of those
> lenses that Leica got very right a long time ago. The 50/1.4 must have been
> an incredible lens in the late 60's. As you say, it's still a wonderful
> lens.
>
> Dave

Good! I know that I have no trouble adapting to new stuff, but, with the
50/1.4, I agree with that 'leave well enough alone thinking.' Why spend an
R&D fortune for a tiny increase in performance. The other thing to think
about is the 50/1.4 and 50/1.0 are really very low volume lenses, so would
there really be a big enough market for a new marginally improved lens.

sl