Subject: [Leica] Picture taking technique
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:54:38 +0200

"brougham3@yahoo.com" (I am sorry that I cannot address you by your
first name as it is not stated)
asked in part:
> So what's wrong with a visual inspection, then?  If you can't see any
> degradation, does it matter if it is present?  From a practical
> standpoint,
> what's it matter if the theoretical limit is 100 lp/mm for a
> photographer
> who hand-holds 95% of the time?
>
> I ask because I seek your expert opinion, Erwin.  I'm genuinely curious.
> Does the defocus problem only really matter if you're using a tripod,
> slow
> film, and trying to get close to the theoretical maximum?  If hand
> holding
> already degrades the image, how important does the mismatch between
> Leica
> lenses and Hexar bodies become?

I am searching for a way to express my thinking that is clear and
consistent. What I tried to say here is this.
With careful technique you can extract maybe 80% of the potential image
qualities of a film/lens/body combination. With a technique that
necessarily introduces severe image degradation  (defocus, hand held
shooting below 1/250), your results will by default much lower.
When you use equipment that has its own sources of degradation (large
tolerances, engineering mismatch between components) you will also
automatically get a degraded image (that is compared to the one you
could produce when all components are spot on).

 From a practical point of view it seems indeed irrelevant which sources
cause the degradation. In both cases you get at best 30% of the feasible
image quality.
And if you are happy with the resultant quality, you are right not to
worry what is the cause of the trouble, as you do not seem to have any
concern at all. You like what you get, irrespective of what you might
get if degrading factors are excluded.

My point is that there is a vast and significant difference between the
use of  the method of visual inspection in order to settle the question
whether a photographer is satisfied with the result and the use of this
method to settle the question what is the best image quality attainable.
If you are only interested  in creating pictures you personally like and
are comfortable  with, the method of of subjective assessment (or visual
inspection) is perfectly viable and sound.

If you are interested in getting the best possible results with your
equipment and want to know how to handle the many factors that do
degrade the image, you need a method that can identify the possible
sources of image degradation and a strategy how to cope with this.

It is for this approach that it is of paramount importance to
distinguish between user induced defocus errors and manufacturing
induced  defocus errors.
You cannot dismiss this difference by claiming that the result might be
identical. In the first case I can do something about it, in the second
case I am lost.

And I am sure it is of interest to users to know what does cause the
image degradation. In some situations it may be irrelevant as you have
no options or do not care about improvements.

But if you wish to improve your image quality, it does matter.

It may be true that when taking pictures at 1/30 any defocus erors will
hide behind the degradation induced by movement degradation. Or the
other way around. But if I know it is an error of movement, I can
improve the result.
To give a direct answer to your last question: the defocus error
(mismatch Leica lens/ Hexar body) is an error that is constant. It will
be more of a problem if the shutter speed and the speed of the
filmemulsion get faster. Even without a tripod I can get quite vibration
free (satisfactory)  pictures at 1/250 or when using flash, but the
defocus error will have a significant impact. At least at the wider
apertures.
THis is the old trade-off: use a slow shutter speed and a lens well
stopped down and you cover up focus problems and generate vibration
problems. Use a higher speed and a wider aperture and you need accurate
focussing and a well corrected lens.
Any photographer has to specify his/her personal trade off in relation
to his/her demands on pictorial quality. In my view (and that is why I
choose Leica products) this choice/demands should not be limited by
issues of limitations induced by equipment performance.
But is perfectly reasonable to match your  requirements to what the
equipment is able to deliver.

Erwin