Subject: [Leica] Re: A question of a dealer's responsibilities and ethics
From: brougham3@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:45:12 -0500

gregor samsa <gregor...samsa@usa.net> wrote:

>I recently (last days of march) purchased an M6 classic in "mint condition"
>from an established, though not Leica-authorized, dealer whose name will be
>VERY familiar to most American LUGnuts.

I'd name names if I were in your position.  If the dealer has any sense of
pride or ethics, he would stand behind "mint condition" cameras.  Or, you
should be told in no uncertain terms at the time of sale that "mint means as
is."  Legally, he probably isn't obligated to you in any way.  Perhaps a bit
of negative publicity might help him realize that customer service is good
for business, though.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you got the camera for a considerable
discount over a "new" price?  If buying used were as risk-free as buying
new, there wouldn't be a difference in asking price.  In any event, I'd
still think the dealer should make it extremely clear at the point of sale
that there would be no warranty provided.

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com> ([Leica] A question of a dealer's responsibilities and ethics)