Subject: RE: [Leica] 6x9/6x7/6x4.5 rangefinders
From: "George Kenney" <georgekenney@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 22:15:38 -0400

Thanks all very, very much for suggestions.

With great reluctance I decided against a Zeiss Ikonta, after having
had repaired/overhauled a "mint" Rolleiflex. I love my Rollei, but I
don't want any more hassle with old cameras.

So, after much deliberatin, I decided that Fuji was out because of
1) its shutter that sounds like a 'zippo lighter' according to many
internet sources, and 2) the shutter, again, which requires on "T" to
rotate the ring to close (can you imagine the mind-boggling stupidity
of this design?); despite very high recommendations overall for its
quality of glass. Bronica was out because 645 seems more like a
weeding photographer's camera -- so phhftttt! Alors, the Mamiya... I
tried ordering via fax from Robert White in the UK (about 45%
cheaper than US mailorder -- so why does Mamiya USA try to
ripoff US consumers this much??). But after asking Robert for
shipment via (billed to my FedEX account) overnight priority, I still
haven't got, after 1 1/2 days, even an acknowledgement of my
order !!!???WTF??? If I don't hear from him by late tonite, early
tomorrow Brit time, I'll cancel that order and try another UK vendor.
FWIW, when I read recently (on Drudge) that the British army is
now paying for sex change operations for its personnel, I knew the
end is at hand for the British nation!!!!

If I ever manage in fact to acquire a Mamiya 7 II from the UK I'll
report on its picture taking quality...  vs. Leica, of course!

G.

Replies: Reply from John Hicks <jbh@magicnet.net> (Re: [Leica] 6x9/6x7/6x4.5 rangefinders)