Subject: RE: [Leica] Help: P&S vs. my M3
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:04:28 -0500

Dave,

At 05:55 PM 5/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
>using my Leica's, but those 2 1/4 chromes are a hard act to follow. I just

I know what you mean. We went to Sweden in 1986 to visit my wife's
relatives. I took a Leica R4 and 50/2.0 and Hasselblad with an 80/2.8 and
shot up a lot of slide film.  I had a Hasselbald projector at the time and
the 2 1/4 just blew me away, however, the Leica 35mm on Kodachrome weren't
all that far behind. I finally sold the Hassy stuff.  If you have the
equipment for projecting the 2 1/4 and don't mind the bother and expense of
glass mounting them I can only imagine the shots you would get of the Grand
Canyon.

At one time I took a bunch of companion shots with these cameras using 35mm
and 2 1/4 Kodachrome (when Kodak used to make it).  Interestingly on a 70 x
70 matt screen with the Leica projector and Hassy projector I didn't see
better small detail with the 2 1/4 than with the 35mm.  (All on a tripod)
However, the color saturation of the 2 1/4 gave a much richer slide.  I
haven't used Velvia but you should get great saturation with it with the M3.

Have fun.

Dick