Subject: Re: [Leica] SLR lenses
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:36:26 -0400

At 08:05 PM 5/6/01 -0700, Dennis Painter wrote:
>If your Leica RF has replaced the SLR for everyday shooting, why would you
>need
>that zoom, (35-70) for the reflex?

For weddings I use the RFs for all available light work and the SLRs with a
diffused 285 for flash photos. The 35-70 has been invaluable for such
photos in the last 15 years.

>Your comments make it sound like you are
>going to replace the Minolta with Leica (that's fine, but the in the end the
>weight will be way more than Minolta)

I am replacing the minolta SLRs with Leica SLRs (that offer almost all the
same features that I'm used to plus a few extras) but if anything this
should lighten my load a bit...an SRT or XE7 with the 35-85/2.8 bracket and
285 weighs in at close to 3 lbs!

While on the move at my typical wedding or grip'n grin event, I'm also
carrying a beat up F2 loaded with a second SLR and all the other lenses
(28/2.8, 35-70/3.5, 50/1.4, 75-300/4.5), extra flash unit, film, gadget and
sewing kits etc...and lately my RF with 35 and 50 lenses. This is way too
much gear so I'm trying to slim down to only what I need to shoot all jobs
and to be able to use the better lenses at the same time.

Pascal is right, I'll also probably stay away from the R6.2 because of its
LEDs (and my budget is more SL/SL2 than R6.2/R8 at the moment anyhow.)

:)
Thanks for the input Dennis.
Michael