Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: Isaac Crawford <isaac@visi.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 23:52:12 -0400

"Rodgers, David" wrote:

> Isaac
>
> You're talking about metering in general. I don't have a problem with that.
> I have a problem with metering and the Heliar.
>
> I know every trick in the book when it comes to metering. I really don't
> have any problem with most lenses. Nor do I have any issues with the M6
> metering. It's spot on most of the time. But there's something tricky about
> the Heliar, and I haven't been able to put my finger on what it is.  It's
> more than watching the horizon (although Henning made a very good point in
> that regard.)

	I bet if you use an ambient technique as opposed to a reflected one,
most of the problems will go away... Just a guess...

> Do you have any metering issues when you use your Heliar on your M6? Or do
> you get perfectly exposured chromes each and every time you use it? I'm
> curious also to know how you like your Heliar overall.

	I have only shot two rolls (of K64) with the heliar on a friend's
Bessa-L. That was mostly for curiosity's sake, I'm not much of a wide
angle guy. I had no problems getting accurate exposure. All of the shots
were outside under pretty predictable skies, and after a quick initial
check, I didn't use the meter again. I don't see any reason why I would
judge exposure differently if I continued to use it... The lens was
acceptably sharp, although I found the light falloff in the corners a
bit distracting in the blue skies. That's probably because I do 98% of
my shooting with either a 90mm or 50mm, and dark corners don't show up
unless you stack too many filters on them!:-) Certainly an interesting
lens, but not for me...

Isaac