Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 75 Summilux question
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:13:42 -0400

Counter point...

> Don't because:
>
> - the 75mm frame is confusing and to close from the 50mm who
> appear at the same time.

I've grown accustomed to seeing the 75 frames and ignoring the 50: it's
surprising how quickly the brain adapts.

> - the focusing ring of the 75mm is to stiff and make fast
> focusing difficult.

Mine isn't too stiff, and I love the precision with which it focuses, since
it allows for very minor adjustments.

> IMO, a 50/1,4 or a 90/2 is a better choice.

The 50/1.4, while a fine lens, is no match for the 75 in terms of sharpness
(few lenses are).  The 90/2 _is_ a match resolution-wise, but it lacks the
classic Leica signature that the older optical design of the 75 has.  The 90
is also a stop slower, but weighs pretty much just as much as the 75 (don't
have the figures in front of me).  Many folks who own both claim the focus
ring on the 90 apo is stiffer than that of the 75.  Finally, the 75 focuses
to .7 meters, the 90 to 1 meter; the 75 produces the tightest image size of
any Leica M lens.

Dan