Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide,now"movies"
From: Isaac Crawford <isaac@visi.net>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 18:17:34 -0400

Steve LeHuray wrote:

> >> They are able to do that because of the AC (assistant cameraman or focus
> >> puller). Cinema is very precise where scences are marked out and rehearsed.
> >> The AC will be standing beside the camera and shift the focus on the lens,
> >> on cue, using preset marks which are placed on the lens, yellow gaffer tape.
> >
> >  I'm always amazed at the focus puller's ability to follow focus on
> > moving targets. A good focus puller can make a career out of that
> > skill... They can use the gaffers tape on the actors marks, but not
> > everywhere in between.
> >
> > Isaac
> >>

> You might be very surprised at how much all that 'action' stuff is tightly
> choregraphed. In fact very little is left to chance.

Well sure everything is choreographed, but that's the trick isn't it...
getting everyone to perform at the same time?:-) I am referring mostly
to the ability of a focus puller to eyeball the distance and set it on
the fly as either the camera or the performer moves. Most likely they
will know where they will end up, but they have to track the distance
accurately until then... Take for example the overused technique of the
camera simultaneously zooming and moving at the same time on a
stationary subject. The effect is that the performer stays the same size
on the screen, but the perspective changes around them. The focus puller
has to be able to track the distance as the camera moves... I dunno,
maybe they can automate that now, but back when I was shooting, it was a
real pain in the neck to pull off...

Isaac