Subject: Re: [Leica] no politics
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:11:40 -0700

At 11:36 AM 5/2/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Brian, is the politics of photography ok? I mean this seriously... Oddmund's
>'magnum' remarks raised some interesting issues about the way images are
>used these days. I would like to continue talking about that, but don't want
>to get up your nose.

Absolutely OK. When I say "politics" I should have said "national
politics", I suppose.

Here are some self-tests:

* If you want to call somebody left-wing, right-wing, reactionary, radical,
liberal, or conservative, you probably shouldn't send the message.

* If you want to talk about any aspect of a government figure besides those
involved in photographing him, you probably shouldn't send the message.

* If you want to express an opinion about anything that involves elections,
elected officials, congresses, parliaments, tribunals, or public policy
unrelated to art or photography, you probably shouldn't send the message.

I would also prefer that people not call one another unpleasant things even
when they are certain that the other person is hopelessly wrong. And, if
someone does speak to you unpleasantly, the best thing for you to do is to
ignore it, or, if you need to, ignore the person. Striking back on-list
does not make anything better.

Brian