Subject: Re: [Leica] C-41 process b&w films
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:29:38 -0400

on 4/28/01 1:49 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:

[quoting van ripper]

> By sad contrast, the unmanipulated Ilford prints were all a brackish brown,
> betraying the same annoying characteristic that bugged me a decade ago. There
> was no way I could give such prints to a client – they'd all have to be
> re-done,
> with me possibly having to foot the bill for custom prints, with custom
> filtration."

I wonder, does he really give his 'clients' proof prints from a c41 machine
like this? I totally agree with Mark: he discovers that the new film has
less shadow and highlight detail than either of the others, then awards it
the prize on the color of the machine prints. Bizarre!

Elsewhere in the article he asserts that the new portra is the same emulsion
as T400CN on a different base, and says it must be the base that affects the
rendition of highlights and shadows. Can anyone think of a mechanism for
this? Maybe's he's just judging from machine prints.

I feel unenlightened by this article.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com