Subject: Re: [Leica] C-41 process b&w films
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:49:03 -0700

Steve LeHuray wrote:

> > On rare occasions I've shot Ilford's XP2 b&w film but see that Kodak has
> > a relatively new C-41 process film out called T400CN.
> >
> > Can someone with experience point out the differences between them and
> > which gives better tonal rendition? I thougth the XP2 was rather
> > contrasty and wonder if the T400CN might be less so.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lea
> >
> Lea,
>
> This weeks column in the Washington Post by Frank Van Ripper addresses your
> question.
>
> http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/index.htm
>
> Steve
> Annapolis

Incredibly comical though that Van Ripper is judging these films by the color
they print with as snapsnot proofs on color paper!!! He judges the quality of
the films by the color the snapshots come out!!!
There is not attempt to even DISCUSS printing one of these negs and black and
white paper.
MORONIC!!!!
See below:

"Portra all but ran away with the honors, with a virtually perfect succession of
beautiful black and white prints emerging from the processing machine with no
special handling or filtration. The prints looked great on both standard glossy
paper and the matte-finish version of the paper Kodak has developed for its
Portra films.

By sad contrast, the unmanipulated Ilford prints were all a brackish brown,
betraying the same annoying characteristic that bugged me a decade ago. There
was no way I could give such prints to a client – they'd all have to be re-done,
with me possibly having to foot the bill for custom prints, with custom filtration."

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA
http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/