Subject: [Leica] Good deal (?) on Leica M-2
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:35:08 -0400

Spotted at a  Brooklyn flea market this morning--Leica M-2, #970xxx with 50
mm Summicron,  #1951xxx for $850. I was greatly tempted, but: 1- I can't
afford it right now; 2-I have small hands and am right eyed--my IIIf & IIIa
are really better for me; 3- If I did buy it (that's what credit lines are
for) I'd have to spend a lot more $ for 35 & 90 adapters and a rapidwinder
(since I'm right eyed); 4- my wife might throw me out of the house.

I'm posting this because someone in or near NYC might be interested (and, If
they buy it, I will not be tempted anymore). I have no connection with the
dealer other than the fact that I stop by and talk to him most weekends. and
have bought several small items. I have NO financial interest in the sale of
this camera.

The dealer is named Marius. He's at a small flea market on 7th Avenue
between 1st and 2nd streets in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The flea market is open
until about 4 or 5 PM on Saturdays & Sundays. The camera is certainly far
from mint. It has large pieces of vulcanite missing and a number of small
nicks, bright spots and rub marks on the top and base plates as well as near
the strap lugs. (nevertheless, it doesn't look ugly--just well-used). The
lens appears to be in excellent condition with clear glass & no oil on the
diaphragm (BUT I didn't shine a flashlight through it.
The viewfinder, frame lines, and r/f spot are clear, but the rangefinder
needs adjustment--it doesn't line up properly at infinity. The shutter
speeds sound good and the curtains seem OK. Marius tells me that the person
who sold it to him claimed that the camera had been recently serviced, but
I'd take that with a grain of salt in light of the need for a r/f
adjustment.

For all its faults, the camera seems to be a good deal @ $850. If anyone on
the list goes to see it, I'd love to know their impression.

Bob Marvin