Subject: [Leica] A great LUG meet & Greet
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:39:53 -0700

Howdy gang,
As many of you have enjoyed with visitors from around the world,  meet and
greets are fun events, this time in my home town.

Alastair & Helen Firkin from Australia visiting Victoria, Canada on their
way to Seattle, USA. It's one of those wonderful events of a face to face
encounter and warm hand shakes that finally puts a real human being before
you rather than a name on the screen.

Last evening we, Alastair, his wife Helen, friend Trish Timmermans, my wife
Irene and m'self were handsomely wined and dined at the home of Sandy
Carter, my associate and semi lug lurker. With three Australians, Alastair,
Helen & Trisha; an American, Sandy and two Canadians, Irene & I, it was
almost an international gathering. ;-)

Although the men were out numbered 4 to 2, I can assure you we held our own
certainly after a few encounters with Lagavulin, the single malt scotch of
choice by Luggites while discussing LUG, Leica's, and other events of the
photographic world.

OK OK, I'll have to tell the truth, the women allowed a few moments of
LUG-Leica's discussion then it moved on to "more important subjects." ;-)

Mr. "Family of Man II" Alastair, says the number of submissions has dropped
off quite a bit, however he is hoping to have at least 1000 images by
November 2001, so all those folks out there who have been meaning well,
"I'll send some later" but haven't done so,  may I ask please that you send
them along at your earliest.

This "Family of Man II" project is a great idea for all LUGNUTS to be
participants,  certainly those who haven't been published, as it's an
opportunity to see your photograph on a printed page. Which I can attest
creates a nice feeling when you open a book or paper and one of your
pictures is staring back at you for the first time

I should say, seeing your work published anytime creates a nice feeling
whether once or hundreds, so let's get out there capturing those moments of
family, friends, strangers and peoples of the world! The "Family of Man II"
is a great idea and we as Leica Users can have a funtime while making use of
our picture taking machines without any pressures.  Just go out and have fun
doing that which we all enjoy.... taking pictures! But for heaven sake send
them to Alastair and the Family of Man II.

To those Americans about to meet Alastair and Helen, let me say you are in
for a treat as they are wonderful folks, great sense of humour and without
question real friends and not just names on the screen.

Love those LUG meet and greets, nothing like a member of the family face to
face!:-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant